Quinoa (KEEN-wah) is well on its way to being dubbed supergrain of the millennium. High in fiber and a high- quality protein similar to that found in meat, this grain cooks up like rice and has a mild flavour similar to couscous.
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped seeded tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint or parsley
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork. Stir in tomato and remaining ingredients. Cover; let stand 1 hour. Serve chilled or at room temperature.