Nutrition can feel so complex and confusing, it’s a common frustration I hear from my patients. What if I told you there was one rule you could follow that would guarantee that you are consuming an abundance of vitamins, minerals and nutrients at each meal to fuel your body?
JUST ADD COLOUR, it is that simple!
The more colour your meals have means the more vegetables and fruits you are eating. This will provide you with nutrients your body needs to keep clean, strong, and fight diseases.
5 reasons to add colour to your meals:
- Fruits and vegetables provides nutrients, vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, protein, calcium, fiber, antioxidants and phytonutrients.
- Fruits and vegetables do not contain trans fat, low saturated fat and also have very little or no sodium at all. The sugar present in them do not affect your health the same way added sugars do.
- As fruits and vegetables tend to be low in calories, they can help you manage your weight while still satisfying your appetite thanks to their fiber and water. An easy first step to a healthier eating plan is replacing empty processed high-calorie foods with colour found in fruits and vegetables.
- Fruits and vegetables can be consumed by eating or drinking them, they are very flexible, as they can be fresh, frozen, canned, dried or juiced. They can be raw or cooked, whole or chopped, and can be combined with other foods. Due to their flexibility, they are the most versatile, convenient and affordable food.
- A colourful meal plan, can help lower the risk of many serious and chronic health conditions, such as heart disease, stroke, obesity, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, diabetes, kidney disease, osteoporosis and even some types of cancer.
Fruits and vegetables are essential to many daily functions of a healthy body. I recommend that your plate should always be half vegetables, and aiming to eat the a rainbow rainbow of colours daily. In addition, add ½ a cup of your favourite seasonal fruit to naturally sweeten up you meals.
As we are enjoying the heart of the summer, adding colour is a vital part of our nutrition plan, farmers’ markets, roadside stands are plentify and otten organic in our region and make for great grocery adventures!
To help implement the power and simplicity of JUST ADDING COLOUR, we have included a colour chart to help you add more variety of colour to your meal.
If you are looking for more personalized support for your nutrition and health needs, or want to start a lifestyle change with a health path, book a consultation today and take your first steps towards a healthier YOU!
You can also check the Rainbow Chart!